Level Range: 42 – 52
Special Notes: Dire Maul is a large compound consisting of three instances. The hardest instance in the group is Gordok Commons, also known as Dire Maul: North.
Dire Maul North has a unique mechanism, by which the fourth and fifth bosses can be pacified rather than fought (see boss notes for more details). In the second half of the instance, the Wandering Eye of Kilrogg will summon Netherwalkers to attack you if it gets close.
This instances is mainly populated by Gordok Ogres, and its completion awards you the buff ‘King Of the Gordok’ for one hour, which makes all the Ogres friendly to the PC. Rare boss spawns are possible in the Gordok’s Seat arena.
Quest pickup is marked with a *.
- Guard Mol’dar: Clear out nearby mobs and wait for a patting Mage to walk to you on the bottom/middle of the stairs before engaging Mol’dar. Lots of mastiffs surround him, and it’s hard to kill them all without engaging the boss. His Frenzy at about 25% health calls in nearby mastiffs.
- Stomper Kreeg the Drunk: His Booze Spit reduces hit rating by 75%, and has a Frenzy and Drunken Rage. Fighting him long enough causes ‘drunk’ effect. If you watch long enough, he’ll bust out some excellent dance moves.
- Guard Fengus: Guard Fengus pats around the plaza, which has multiple mob groups. Clear out as many as you can before engaging the boss; he has a pushing attack that can push you into remaining mobs.
- Guard Slip ‘kik: SPECIAL NOTE: This boss can be killed as per usual, or he can be lured over an trap and kept on ice indefinitely (sorry). It can be extremely difficult to communicate what you’re going to do to a PUG, however, and I’ve found they generally tend to taunt and kill Slip ‘kik while you’re trying to explain. NON-KILL VERSION: Wait for Slip ‘kik to pat away. Kill the mob in front of the fire. Pick up the quest from the goblin Knot Thimblejack (‘The Gordok Ogre Suit’). Click on the trap to activate it. When Slip ‘kik comes around again, taunt him from the far side of the trap. When he runs over it, he’ll be frozen but not killed. D’oh!
- Captain Kromcrush: You may kill Kromcrush as normal, or NON-KILL VERSION: If you trapped Slip’kik in ice earlier… Go up the stairs and pick up the Orc Tannin, if desired (this will summon a Gordok Bushwhacker in addition to the existing mobs). Go back down to the goblin and get the Ogre Suit. Run up the stairs and down the hall until you see Captain Kromcrush. Put on the ogre suit either before or after you kill the mob in front of him (the suit doesn’t work on them, apparently). Talk to Kromcrush, who will then leave. Kill the mobs on your way to…
- King Gor’dok and Cho’Rush the Observer: Take out the patting group of mastiffs first. Gor’dok has Bloodlust and a big push attack, and Cho’Rush is a fire mage. If you take out Gor’dok first, Cho’Rush will stop attacking and summon Mizzle the Crafty, who awards you the buff ‘King of the Gordok’.
It’s good to be King, baby!